Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I hope you're not counting your calories, because this is going to blow your diet! Very traditional for an Aussie dinner get together, cheap and it makes lots. Serve with ice-cream.
- 1 cup chopped dried dates (chopped fine)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 90 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 300 ml cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium bowl, mix the dates (use kitchen scissors to chop the dates rather than a knife), bicarb and water together. Set aside for 10-12 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Fold in the cooled date mix and the flour.
- Pour into a greased 20cm round cake tin.
- Bake at 180oC for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes, cut and serve from the tin (it keeps it warm).
- Carmel sauce:.
- Place all the ingredients in a medium pot and stir over a medium heat until combined. Simmer gently until thickened (about 5 -8 minutes).
- To serve: pour over the pudding and let it soak a little before eating.