Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is oh so yummy for dessert that you will love. The caramel sauce is fantastic.
Make and share this Sticky Date Pudding With Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups chopped pitted dates
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 90 g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- creme fraiche or whipped cream, for serving
For Caramel Sauce
- 100 g butter
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup golden syrup
- 3⁄4 cup thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Grease and line the base of 23cm deep round cake tin.
- Put the dates in a pan with 1 3/4 cups water, bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and ginger and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Coarsley mash with a potato masher.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and 1 egg.
- Beat in the remaining eggs one at a time.
- Once the eggs are well beaten, gently fold in the sifted flour and spices, add the date mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Cover with foil if over browning during cooking.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate.
- To make Caramel Sauce: Put all the ingredients in a pan and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer uncovered, for about 3 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
- Brush some sauce over the top and sides of the pudding until well glazed.
- Serve immediately with the sauce and a dollop of cream.
This was just fantastic, and loved by everyone who tried it. Everyone wanted seconds. Didn't change a thing with the recipe. The extra sauce we heated it up, and drizzled it on vanilla ice cream...to die for! Thank yoU!
I have made this so many times, it is delicious and easy. In fact, my daughter has asked me to make it again for her weekend visit, so out it comes again. A winner! Thank you so much for this recipe.
This was very easy to make and the consistency of it was beautiful.First time i made it it was lovely but yes i found second time was even better.I did the caramel sauce as directed but then i served it with egg custard and it topped it off wonderfully. Thank you for sharing this recipe i am now going to teach my niece how to make it.