Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Taken from the Masterchef Junior Cookbook. I plan to try these with gluten-free flour - the recipe is otherwise gf suitable
- 1 1⁄4 cups pitted dates, halved (175 grams)
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, measured firmly packed (165 grams)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour (225 grams)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, measured firmly packed (110 grams)
- 1⁄4 cup pouring cream (60ml)
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar, sifted (120 grams)
- demerara sugar, to decorate (optional) or raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C Line 18 holes of muffin pans (1/3 cup measure) with paper cases. This recipe uses 'regular' muffin pan size not the Texan/large style.
- Combine the dates and 1 1/4 cups boiling water in a small saucepan, Bring to the boil over low-medium heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mash lightly with a potato masher. Stir in the bicarb/baking soda and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and brown sugar into the warm date mixture until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Stir in the eggs until combined.
- SIft in the flour and ginger, then fold in with a metal spoon until combined.
- Divide the mixture into the paper cases and smooth the mixture over with the back of a spoon.
- Bake 15 minutes or until the tops are firm when touched.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing- combine the butter, brown sugar and the cream in a small saucepan over a low heat, stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring the mixture to just below boiling point, then reduce the heat to low-medium and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and gradually beat in the ising sugar until smooth.
- Spread the icing onto cakes and decorate by sprinkling with the optional sugar.
I made these for husbands work function and taste tested before sending them out and i have to say an awsome recipie. I added extra icing sugar to thicken the icing so i could pipe onto cakes.
I only made the icing to use with another Sticky Date recipe...it's very runny, more of a glaze, I will try to save it by adding more icing sugar. Disappointing.