Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A beautiful muffin that is easy to prepare and makes the most delicious and impressive dessert. A recipe from a Tupperware demonstration that I attended. Crunchy on the outside and moist inside - yum!
- 100 g pitted dates
- 1 medium green cooking apple, such as granny smith
- 80 g butter
- 177.44 ml self-raising flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml desiccated coconut
- 1 egg
- 59.14 ml light sour cream
ingredients for light caramel sauce
- 50 g butter
- 158.51 ml brown sugar
- 125 ml cream
- Preheat oven to 180 deg celciuis. Place your silicone muffin form onto a metal tray.
- Cut the dates into small pieces with a kitchen scissors.
- Peel, core and quarter the apple, then cut into smaller pieces.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe 1 litre jug for 1 minute on high.
- (800 watts) & set aside.
- Sift the flour & baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and coconut with a spoon.
- Whisk the egg and sour cream into the cooled butter.
- Using a spatula fold the fruit and wet ingredients through the flour mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into your muffin form, filling each one to the top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and firm. Allow to stand for 3 minutes before turning out.
- Serve drizzled with the light caramel sauce.
- LIGHT CARAMEL SAUCE.
- Combine the ingredients in a 1 litre microwave safe jug. Microwave for 4 minutes, uncovered, on medium high (650 watts), stirring regularly until the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon. Serve warm.
- Work quickly once the wet & dry ingredients are combined. The quicker the muffin is in the oven, the better the end result. Do not over mix, however this particular mixture is very thick (to produce a nice sticky muffin) and does need a thorough stirring to combine ingredients. Will keep well for 2 days stored in an airtight container.
- I add a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze to the caramel sauce once cooked- it cuts through the sweetness.
- For the sour cream I just add a teaspoon of vinegar to normal cream if I don't have sour cream.