Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
These sticky chicken pieces are perfect for easy yet glamorous entertaining.
Make and share this Sticky Chili Roast Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 6 chicken legs, with skin and bone
- 6 chicken thighs, with skin and bone
- 3 tablespoons chipotle paste, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lime, juice
- black pepper
- 2 onions, cut into 8 wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, bashed flat
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 7⁄8 cup chicken stock
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the chicken into a plastic food bag with 2 tablespoons of the chipotle paste, all the ground coriander, 1 tablespoon oil, a squeeze of lime and a grinding of black pepper.
- Marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan; scatter the onion around, drizzle with a little more oil.
- Roast for 1 hour until the chicken is dark golden and crisping on top. After 30 minutes, tuck the garlic in around the chicken.
- Lift the chicken and onions out of the pan onto a big plate.
- Turn the oven to low and keep the chicken warm, uncovered.
- Place the tin on the burner; spoon off excess fat; add most of the chili pepper and fry for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the dark brown sugar, tomato paste and remaining chipotle paste.
- Add the chicken stock and bubble down for about 5 minutes until you have a sticky sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and another squeeze of lime juice.
- (The chicken will keep in a low oven, uncovered, for up to half an hour. You can also decant the sauce into a saucepan and reheat it.)
- To serve, spoon the sauce and garlic over and around the chicken and scatter with the remaining chili.
- Serve with salad, salsa and wedges.