Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
The chicken needs to marinate overnight - but what awesome flavour!
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 4 lbs chicken pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Combine vinegar, sugar and soy sauce in shallow baking dish.
- Arrange chicken in single layer and turn to coat well.
- Cover and marinate overnight.
- Transfer chicken and marinade to large skillet.
- Add garlic and ginger and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Uncover and continue simmering until chicken is tender and juices run clear, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a heated platter, tent with foil and keep warm in very low oven.
- Increase heat to medium and cook sauce until reduced and caramelized, about 25 minutes; watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Return chicken to skillet and coat with sauce.
- Serve over steamed rice.
we really liked this very tasty easy dish for dinner. we will make this again soon. being short on time this evening i started the chicken and sauce this morning in the crockpot. when i got home this evening i started a pot of rice and poured the juices from the crockpot into a pan and reduced to a nice thick sauce. i used low sodium soy sauce and the rest of the ingredients as listed in the recipe.
this was great... I cooked it in a crockpot and then took the juices and made the sauce with a little bit of corn starch.... yummy