Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is great when you find whole chickens on sale. I will often double this recipe (making 2 chickens) and freeze the meat for future dishes or chicken salad.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices.
- Remove giblets from chicken. Dry the chicken (interior and exterior) with paper towels so the spice mix will stick.
- Rub the spice mixture over the chicken and inside the cavity. Make sure that it is evenly distributed.
- Put chicken into a large sized storage bag and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to roast chicken, stuff the cavity with chopped onions.
- Place in shallow 9x13 baking dish lined with foil. Roast uncovered at 250 degrees for 5 hours.
- After first hour, baste the chicken every 30 minutes with pan juices.
- Let chicken rest so that juices distribute before carving.
- NOTES: I often will bring whole chickens home from the grocery store. Season them according to this recipes directions, place them in a freezer storage bag and put right into the freezer. Then when I want to make Sticky Chicken, its already seasoned and marinates while thawing. Another thing I do is make a bunch of the seasoning mix and put into a spice jar. This is a big time saver and its ready to use when I want to make this recipe.