Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Something I have been playing with on and off for a while, very loosely based on a recipe of Huey. (Cook time does not take into account marinading time)
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (kekap manis)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 stalk lemongrass, the white smashed and chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 hot chili peppers, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons Chinese wine or 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in skin on (cut any excess fat from chicken) or 1 chicken, cut up (cut any excess fat from chicken)
- canola oil
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 3 -4 star anise
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2 green onions, sliced on diagonal
- Mix together kekap manis, honey, soy sauce, lemongrass, garlic, 2 tblespoons Chinese wine.
- Add the chicken, toss well and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Heat a thin layer of oil and a large heavy based non stick pan and add the drained chicken (skin side down).
- Reserve the marinade.
- Cook gently for about 10 minutes, turning once and making sure you don't burn the chicken.
- Add the chicken stock, remaining Chinese wine or sherry, star anise, lime zest and juice, ginger, and the reserved marinade.
- Turn chicken over so skin side is down and gently simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken over again, stir and taste for any additional seasoning you may think it would need, and if need be add more stock.
- Cover and cook for approx 15 minutes again.
- Place chicken on individual plates garnish with green onion and spoon sauce over.
- Good with steamed rice and Asian steamed greens.