1 hr 20 mins
This is a cake traditionally served on Chinese New Year. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but a lot of people like it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare the wok for steaming.
- 2In a bowl, mix the boiling water and the sugar, stirring to dissolve.
- 3Cool. Soak the Chinese dates in hot water for at least 30 minutes to soften. (You can also
- 4soften them quickly by placing them in a bowl with water and microwaving on high heat for
- 530 seconds). Cut the dates in half and remove the pits.
- 6Place the glutinous rice flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and stir in the sugar and water mixture. Add the milk and begin shaping the dough. Add 1 tablespoon of
- 7water to the dough at a time, until you have a smooth dough with a satiny texture. Incorporate 1/2 - 3/4 of the Chinese dates, nuts or other dried fruit as you are adding water and working with the dough.
- 8Grease a 7-inch square cake pan with vegetable oil or a non-stick cooking spray. Place the dough in the cake pan and spread it out to the edges. Decorate with the remaining
- 9dates, lightly pushing them into the dough. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
- 10Steam the cake over medium-high to high heat for 45 minutes, or until the edges of the cake pull away from the pan. Remove the cake from the heat and cool.
- 11Use a knife to loosen the edges, then remove the cake. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- 12To serve: Cut the cake into quarters, and then into thin slices 2 – 3 inches long and 1/4-inch wide. You can serve the cake as is, or reheat it in the microwave (the amount of time will depend on the size and power of your microwave – start with 10 seconds and then microwave an extra 5 seconds if needed) or re-steam it for 4 – 5 minutes.
- 13You can also pan-fry the cake, dipping the cake slices in an egg wash before frying. Use a small amount of oil so that the cake will not taste oily. Heat the oil on medium-high to high heat, then turn the heat down to medium and brown the cake slices briefly on both sides.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sticky Cake (Nian Gao)
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.7
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 8.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 4.0 g