3 hrs 30 mins
Soeur Souris's Note:
This recipe came with my Baker's Catalogue sticky bun pan -- the buns have a thick cinnamon filling and are topped with a rich, sticky sauce sprinkled with lots of pecans. I make them on the eve of special holidays and refrigerate them overnight then bake them first thing in the morning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup dry milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
- 1In a large mixing blow or electric mixer, combine all of the dough ingredients, mixing to form a shaggy dough.
- 2Knead the dough, by hand or by machine, for 10 minutes.
- 3Allow it to rest for 10 minutes, then knead for an additional 10 minutes, until it's smooth and supple (though still somewhat sticky).
- 4Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and allow it to rest for 1 1/2 hours; it'll become quite puffy although it may not double in bulk.
- 5While the dough is rising, prepare the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the syrup, the rum if you're using it, and the melted butter. Pour into a lightly greased 9x13" pan.
- 6Sprinkle the brown sugar and pecans on top of the glaze; set aside.
- 7Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled or floured work surface and roll it into a 16x12" rectangle.
- 8Spread dough with the 2 tablespoons of softened butter and the cinnamon-sugar mix.
- 9Starting with a long edge, roll the dough into a 16" log.
- 10Slice the log into 16 one-inch pieces.
- 11Place the buns in the prepared pan, cover the pan, and allow the buns to rise till doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 12OR chill them overnight and cook them the next morning -- take them out of the fridge while your oven is preheating.
- 13Bake the sticky buns in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, tenting them with aluminum foil for the final 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- 14Remove the buns from the oven and invert them onto a cooling rack, scraping any of the sticky topping that has remained in the pan onto the buns.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sticky Buns
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.1
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 24.7 mg
- Sodium 229.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 4.6 g