Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you like carmel and pecans you'll love this french toast. Take the time to make ahead makes this casserole a hit in the morning served with hot cocoa or coffee. For those who like a sweet something to start the day. Cooking time does not include 8 hour refrigerated time.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 12 slices French bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter and 2 tablespoons corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Pour sauce into a 9x13 inch baking dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans. Place 6 slices of bread on top of the sauce, sprinkle with the remaining pecans and cover with the remaining 6 slices of bread.
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a blender. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread slices, cover the baking dish, and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove the French toast from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until lightly brown. Drizzle sauce over the toast right before serving.
- To make the Caramel Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1 tablespoon corn syrup. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.