Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Line the pan with aluminum foil to remove the cake easily and cut it into squares.
- 4 cups coarsely chopped peeled granny smith apples (about 4 apples)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted
- crisco nonstick cooking spray, with flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine apples and sugar.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients.
- Beat eggs, oil and vanilla in a large bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 minute.
- Add flour alternately with apple mixture to oil mixture.
- Beat at low speed until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape bottom and down sides of bowl.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Pour batter into a aluminum foil-lined 13x9-inch pan coated with baking spray.
- Bake at 350* for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on wire rack in pan.
- Drizzle evenly with Lemon Glaze.
- To prepare glaze whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately.
I made this cake last weekend to use up some granny smith apples that my kids complained were to sour to eat. This was FABULOUS!! I made two small changes in the prep., but did not change your recipe at all. I split the cinnamon, using 1 tsp with the dry ingreds and the other I mixed into the apples and sugar. Since I planned to serve the cake from the dish it was baked in, I did not line with foil. But instead, coated with a cake release, and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Needless to say, the kids had no problem devouring this cake in days, and it was enjoyed by the rest of us with a good cup of coffee! Thank you for such an easy and delicious recipe...This is definately a keeper!!