Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From American Heart Assoc. Kids Healthy Recipes Cookbook. These are scrumptious! I love the blend of the marinade and then to kick it all into gear you get a wonderful dipping sauce! Yum, yum, yummy! Fire up those grills!
- 1 cup pineapple-orange juice, blend
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, snipped
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 32 cubes approx
- 2 medium zucchini, cut crosswise (rounds)
- 16 pineapple chunks (fresh or canned but in their own juice, drained)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 32 squares (or can use yellow or green)
- 16 grape tomatoes
Orange Dipping Sauce
- 6 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt (I've used fat free too just fine)
- 4 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons pineapple-orange juice, blend
- If using metal skewers, lightly spray eight skewers with non-stick spray. If using bamboo skewers, soak them for at least 10 minutes in cold water to keep them from burning on the grill.
- In a gallon sized zippered plastic bag, combine all of the marinade ingredients.
- Add the chicken, zucchini, and pineapple to the bag and turn to coat.
- Seal the bag and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning at least once.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together the dipping sauce ingredients and set aside in the refrigerator if leaving out longer than 30 minutes.
- Spray the grill rack with non-stick spray and then preheat the gas grill to a medium high heat (sorry I don't know how that converts for charcoil grills).
- Remove the chicken, zucchini, and pineapple from marinade and discard marinade.
- Thread the ingredients on the skewers first with chicken, then red pepper, zucchini, pineapple, red pepper, chicken and tomato. Repeat for each of the 8 skewers.
- Grill 4-6 inches from the heat source for 7-10 minutes and then turn the kebabs and grill for another 7-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and has reached an internal temp of 180°F.
- Serve the kebabs with the dipping sauce.
Very nice quick dinner for us tonight.Good chicken.. Great Mainade.. and excellent dipping sauce. Marinated for 3 1/2 hours.. Did cut the back a hair, other than that made as posted. Great,,GREAT RECIPE..Melissa. Made for 2011 Cook Buffet..
Great recipe. Since I didn't have a blend of the juices, I used half pineapple and half orange juice. I omitted the salt in the marinade. I made a small batch of the dipping sauce cause I knew DH wouldn't like it because of the yogurt. It was very good and DH baked them at direct heat cause he was not patient to wait too long LOL Thanks Melissa :) Made for Market tag
Wonderful marinade for the chicken!!! I must admit to being lazy and not cutting up the chicken for kebobs but did cut up our preference of vegetables for kebobs, using onion and red bell peppers. My 17 yo DS ate a large piece of chicken, rice and green beans and still wanted another piece of the chicken. I did marinade the chicken for about 3 hours and used the marinade to baste during the beginning of the grilling. Thanks for sharing the recipe Hokies!! Made for Potluck Tag Game.