Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
A hearty lamb stew for slow cooker or crock pot. For those cold winter days, this is great sustenance.
- 3 lbs leg of lamb, cubed 1 inch bone in (I use NZ lamb)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 2 medium onions, coarsly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canned tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup dried beans (mix of dried beans kidney, black, white, lentils etc)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 serrano chili pepper, sliced length wise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pink peppercorns, finely crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Soak dried beans on boiling water for 1 hour.
- Wash barley in cold water.
- In a large hot fry pan, heat oil .
- Add 1/2 of onion, ginger and 2 cloves garlic. Fry untill starting to brown.
- Add cubed lamb, sprinkle salt and pepper on lamb. Cook until slightly browned.
- Turn on crock pot to high.
- Add meat to crock pot.
- Heat some more oil in fry pan, add chilli and remainder of garlic. Fry until garlic is well browned. Add to crock pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the crock pot except frozen peas. Add boiling water so that water covers everything.
- Put the lid on and find something else to do for 3.5 hours Don't open the lid to check it, just set it and forget it.
- After 3.5 hours stir in frozen peas and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- The meat should be falling off the bones and potatoes soft, beans soft, barley plump surrounded by a thick savory gravy.
- Serve with Garlic bread.