Recipe by Julumkana
A hearty lamb stew for slow cooker or crock pot. For those cold winter days, this is great sustenance.
Top Review by kellsusan
This was delicious! But please remember that you should NEVER cook dry beans in a slow cooker, especially red kidney beans, without precooking. They contain a toxin that can cause severe gastrointestinal distress! Most sources I've read suggest soaking and then boiling on the stovetop for at least 10 minutes, changing the water after each, to kill off the toxins. Lentils seem to be okay. Hope this helps.
- 3 lbs leg of lamb, cubed 1 inch bone in (I use NZ lamb)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 2 medium onions, coarsly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canned tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup dried beans (mix of dried beans kidney, black, white, lentils etc)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 serrano chili pepper, sliced length wise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pink peppercorns, finely crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dried beans on boiling water for 1 hour.
- Wash barley in cold water.
- In a large hot fry pan, heat oil .
- Add 1/2 of onion, ginger and 2 cloves garlic. Fry untill starting to brown.
- Add cubed lamb, sprinkle salt and pepper on lamb. Cook until slightly browned.
- Turn on crock pot to high.
- Add meat to crock pot.
- Heat some more oil in fry pan, add chilli and remainder of garlic. Fry until garlic is well browned. Add to crock pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the crock pot except frozen peas. Add boiling water so that water covers everything.
- Put the lid on and find something else to do for 3.5 hours Don't open the lid to check it, just set it and forget it.
- After 3.5 hours stir in frozen peas and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- The meat should be falling off the bones and potatoes soft, beans soft, barley plump surrounded by a thick savory gravy.
- Serve with Garlic bread.