4 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
A hearty lamb stew for slow cooker or crock pot. For those cold winter days, this is great sustenance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs leg of lamb, cubed 1 inch bone in (I use NZ lamb)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 2 medium onions, coarsly chopped
- 1/2 cup canned tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup dried beans (mix of dried beans kidney, black, white, lentils etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 serrano chili pepper, sliced length wise
- 1/2 teaspoon pink peppercorns, finely crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1Soak dried beans on boiling water for 1 hour.
- 2Wash barley in cold water.
- 3In a large hot fry pan, heat oil .
- 4Add 1/2 of onion, ginger and 2 cloves garlic. Fry untill starting to brown.
- 5Add cubed lamb, sprinkle salt and pepper on lamb. Cook until slightly browned.
- 6Turn on crock pot to high.
- 7Add meat to crock pot.
- 8Heat some more oil in fry pan, add chilli and remainder of garlic. Fry until garlic is well browned. Add to crock pot.
- 9Add all remaining ingredients to the crock pot except frozen peas. Add boiling water so that water covers everything.
- 10Put the lid on and find something else to do for 3.5 hours Don't open the lid to check it, just set it and forget it.
- 11After 3.5 hours stir in frozen peas and let simmer for a few minutes.
- 12Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- 13The meat should be falling off the bones and potatoes soft, beans soft, barley plump surrounded by a thick savory gravy.
- 14Serve with Garlic bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stick to Your Bones Lamb Stew in Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 951.9
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 227.9 mg
- Sodium 2057.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 71.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: