Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very creamy side dish, usually steals the entree's thunder!
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 can condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1⁄3 lb American cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1⁄3 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
- 6 -7 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced in long strips
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 dash paprika
- Combine flour and salt in saucepan; whisk in milk until smooth.
- Bring to boil.
- Cook and stir 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in soup and cheese until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Place potato"sticks" in a greased 15 x 11-inch pan.
- Sprinkle with onion and cover with cheese sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes.
Delicious!DH and I both loved these potatoes. I Wasn't sure of what American cheese was,so I used White cheddar/w the sharp cheddar. This recipe will be kept in my "fix often" file. Thank you for sharing your recipe,Mirjam.
This is great! Wasn't 100% sure why it had 2 lots of flour but used both to make the sauce anyway, I also used a can of cream of chicken soup as I had no celery soup on hand. And just reading through the directions again now I've noticed I'd forgotten to use the paprika, oh well, it was delicious anyway!