Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This comes from the South Beach Diet Book. I have not made this. Am posting in reply to a request.
Make and share this Stewed Tomatoes and Onions recipe from Food.com.
- To peel tomatoes: Cut a small, shallow X into the bottom of each tomato.
- Place into boiling water for 1 minute and then immediately plunge into ice water.
- Remove, dry and peel skin.
- Chop tomatoes.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat over medium high until hot.
- Add the celery, bell pepper, onion and garlic.
- Saute for about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vinegar and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This recipe is very good. As a diabetic I have to follow a low carb, no sugar diet so I tried this recipe for lunch today. I found the flavors to be very bright and the overall dish quite satisfying. I did add a slurry of 2 tsp corn starch mixed with water at the very end just to tighten it up a little.