1/1 Photo of Stewed Tomatoes and Dumplings
Another recipe from Marsha Adams. These puffy light dumplings are simmered in stewed tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1In medium saucepan, melt butter and saute the onion, pepper, celery, and bay leaf for about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the undrained tomatoes and seasonings and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 4Cut the butter into the flour with a fork until it resembles course meal.
- 5Add the egg, milk, and parsley and stir gently until a soft dough forms, do not overmix.
- 6Drop by tablespoons into simmering tomatoes.
- 7Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- 8Do not lift the lid while the dumplings are cooking.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stewed Tomatoes and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.2
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 62.8 mg
- Sodium 577.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g