Recipe by Kim D.
I came up with this recipe because I had so many ripe cucuzza squash in my garden. Cucuzza is a long green Italian squash. They are sometimes hard to find, but if you can find one, this dish is worth trying! I serve it with wheat pasta and grilled chicken or Italian sausage.
Top Review by Mia Mimi
Mine came out a little thicker sauce and I added shell pasta to it. I also put Parmesan int the sauce before I added the pasta and then again on top when served. My husband really enjoyed it and so did I!
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups cucuzza, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet and add onions and garlic.
- Saute until onions are tender (but do not brown).
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add diced cucuzza, basil, salt and pepper.
- Simmer an additional 20-30 minutes, until cucuzza is tender.
- Add Parmesan cheese before serving, if desired.