Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Love these stewed tomatoes better than the ones you buy at the store. Even my husband who doesn't like stewed tomatoes, commented on how good they were. Even though it says to just core & chop tomatoes, I will peel them in the next batch that I make, and I just sliced my peppers & onions with a slicer into rings instead of chopping. Cooking time does not include canning time.
- 4 quarts washed cored & chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 teaspoons celery salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Hot pack.
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 10-15 min, stirring occasionally.
- Pack hot jars with hot prepared tomato mixture leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe rim and threads and adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process in pressure canner--Dial gauge type @11 pounds pressure or Weighted guage type @10 pounds pressure--pints 15 minutes, quarts 20 minutes.
- After processing, let pressure fall of its own accord and remove jars immediately, place on a rack to cool.
Good basic recipe for stewed tomatoes. I added 1/2 cup of chopped celery instead of celery salt due to diet restrictions. Froze instead of canned.