Here is a good recipe for stewed tomatoes that I have on my site. This is a good way to use up the remaining tomatoes you may have on your vines!
- Peel the tomatoes by soaking them in boiling water for one minute. Gently pull away the skin.
- Place tomatoes in a large pot and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and boil gently for 15 minutes, until tomatoes are tender.
- Serve with croutons.
- I like my stewed tomatoes with toast and butter.
- Whenever I am sick, this is the dish I crave! The above recipe is from the book out of print cookbook "cajun country cookin" by John and Glenna Uhler Enjoy!
I was making a Hamburger Stew that called for stewed tomatoes. As I only had standard canned tomatoes i decided I could find a way to stew them and as a result found this recipe. It's perfect, easy and made my stew FANTASTIC!!!
This is a good recipe. However, I won't use as much sugar next time. I think one tablespoon of sugar per tomato is a little much. I like enough sugar to add some flavor and kill the acidity, but it was too sweet, for my personal taste.
I gave this 5 stars. My family loves this recipe! The first time I made this was the summer of 2007 with fresh tomatoes from the Farmers Market and it was yummy. This recipe taste just like the Stewed Tomatoes K-Mart Family Restaurant serves. The copy of the recipe I have is slightly different it does not call for green pepper. The sugar is 1-2 Tbl. I add 1/4 cup chopped onion. When I made these tonight I used 8 small tomatoes and Splenda for the sugar. Overall this is a great recipe! Thanks for posting such a great recipe! Christine (internetnut)