Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here is a good recipe for stewed tomatoes that I have on my site. This is a good way to use up the remaining tomatoes you may have on your vines!
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped very fine
- 1⁄4 bell pepper, chopped very fine
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups water
- Peel the tomatoes by soaking them in boiling water for one minute. Gently pull away the skin.
- Place tomatoes in a large pot and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and boil gently for 15 minutes, until tomatoes are tender.
- Serve with croutons.
- I like my stewed tomatoes with toast and butter.
- Whenever I am sick, this is the dish I crave! The above recipe is from the book out of print cookbook "cajun country cookin" by John and Glenna Uhler Enjoy!
This is a good recipe. However, I won't use as much sugar next time. I think one tablespoon of sugar per tomato is a little much. I like enough sugar to add some flavor and kill the acidity, but it was too sweet, for my personal taste.
We truly enjoyed this recipe - it reminded me of Mom and home. Because we don't use MSG I used 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (msg free) which was wonderful. I would suggest adding the sugar one table spoon at a time so you can season to your taste... some like it sweet... other not so much. !!!
I was making a Hamburger Stew that called for stewed tomatoes. As I only had standard canned tomatoes i decided I could find a way to stew them and as a result found this recipe. It's perfect, easy and made my stew FANTASTIC!!!