Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy side dish. Great way to dress up stewed tomatoes.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes with onion and green pepper (or the plain or other variety)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄8 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease/spray an 8" or 9" baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combione all ingredients; mix well.
- Por the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 for about 45 minutes.
I liked this casserole and will make again. However, I did not care for the sugar and thyme in it-personal preference I suppose. It had a "pizza" taste to it. Also could use more crackers. It was very easy and good use of pantry items on hand for quick dinner side dish.
A surprisingly nice side dish!! Was easy to prepare ahead of time then cook when needed. I used breadcrumbs instead of cracker and it worked well. Some added hot sauce after (for me only) picked it up nicely. Thanks Parsley