Recipe by pedspeech
This isn't a recipe as much as a method of cooking summer squash. I gave amounts but treat it more as a ratio than a rule- allow at least one squash per serving because it cooks down to a very small amount even though it looks like you are cooking a lot.
Top Review by *Parsley*
This method really brings out the natural sweetness of yellow summer squash. I did allow the squash and onions to brown/carmelize just a bit as mentioned. I'm always happy to find new methods and new recipes for yellow summer squash because I usually have tons in the summer. Thanx for a new recipe!
- 4 summer squash (zucchini works but I prefer yellow)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice squash as thinly as possible- I use a mandoline to do this quickly.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add squash and onions and season then cover with water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until water evaporates.
- Can be eaten at this point, but I like to cook it until it is almost brown, you just have to stir very frequently because it will stick pretty bad. Cooking it a long time will caramelize the vegetables and it becomes a sweet side dish. Warning- it isn't pretty, but it is tasty!
- Make this into a main dish by adding chunks of ham during cooking. Also delicious!