Recipe by Barb G.
We love Rhubarb, we even grow it. Strawberries can be added to make a good fruit compote. Can be made with SPLENDA for diabetic.
Top Review by LoveToBake67
Yum! I halved the recipe because I only had one pound of rhubarb. I used Splenda instead of sugar to cut down on calories. This is sooo good. I have been eating this with cottage cheese and and can't wait to try it over some ice cream. Thanks for sharing this keeper.
- 2 lbs rhubarb
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 slice lemons, rind of or 1 slice orange rind or 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Variations; White wine can be substituted for water, in which don't use vanilla.
- Whole strawberries can be add to the hot compote.
- Wash rhubarb, if young and tender, do not peel; otherwise strip off tough stringy coating, Cut in 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces.
- Place in pot and sprinkle with sugar.
- Add lemon or orange peel.
- Cover and simmer slowly 5 to 10 minutes or until tender, but doesn't lose its shape.
- If using vanilla stir in now, taste to see if more sugar is needed, if so stir sugar in while fruit is hot so sugar can dissolve.
- Chill to serve.