Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
a traditional southern dish...this comes from Eating Well Magazine...can use bacon or other meat...add corn if that's what you like...serve over rice...cornbread...or grits
- 4 ounces spicy sausage (casings removed if necessary)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb okra, sliced (about 5 cups)
- 3 -4 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup low-sodium tomato juice or 2⁄3 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (i omit salt and use cajun spice mix) or 1⁄2 jalapeno, minced (i omit salt and use cajun spice mix)
- Brown sausage in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Increase heat to high: add okra, tomatoes, tomato juice, salt and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring often, until bubbling.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and the vegetables are very tender (35 - 45 minutes).