Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of the ways I was taught to cook okra. It goes great with fried chicken and fried pork chops.
- 1 slice bacon, thick sliced, cut into pieces
- 10 okra pods, sliced 1/2 inch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In a small frypan, cook bacon til almost crisp. Add okra and saute for about 2 minutes. Add water to pan, lower to low heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
This was sooo good! The only change was that I used some "Better Than Bouillon" chicken flavor in the water. Basically chicken broth. Sooo good! And not slimy at all. Thank you for posting. I will make this again.
Mmmm...gotta love that okra! this had great flavor, and was a cinch to put together. At risk of offending southern cooks everywhere I'll admit that I used turkey bacon...I don't eat pork but really wanted to try this recipe. I tripled the recipe for DS, DH, and I, and probably used slightly less salt than called for. This was great next to black-eyed peas with turnip greens and corn cakes. Thanks so much for sharing; I know I will make it often. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.