Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this recipe because it's a change on the same old Italian spaghetti and meatballs (don't get me wrong I love Italian food). But this recipe has bold Latin flavors. Meatballs simmered in a light tomato sauce served over white rice! So good!
For the Meatballs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 80% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 slices bread (white or wheat)
- 1 cup milk
For the sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup sofrito sauce, my Sofrito (or store bought)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- salt and pepper
- 2 russet potatoes, diced (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- For the meatballs:.
- In a medium bowl add bread and cover with milk. Let soak for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper, cilantro, egg, and breadcrumbs. Squeeze the excess milk from the bread and crumble into the meatball mix.
- With clean hands combine all ingredients (do not over mix). Shape the meat into golf size balls (makes 25 meatballs).
- Heat a large non-stick deep skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs brown on all sides (I did this in 2 batches). Transfer meatballs to a large paper towel lined bowl. Set aside.
- In same skillet, add the olive oil and sofrito. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bouillon cube and cook for 1 more minute stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste, cook 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and water (if you like your sauce thinner add more water). Add meatballs and potatoes. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for about 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender and meatballs are cooked through.
- At the very end taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper if needed. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve over my white rice, recipe # 503045.