Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
By Martha Rose Schulman for the New York Times. "This humble and hearty combination makes a satisfying main dish, especially on a cold night. Lentils are an excellent source of folate and molybdenum and a very good source of dietary fiber, protein and manganese. Any type of lentil will work in this recipe."
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, half of it chopped, half sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb lentils, rinsed and picked over (brown, green, or beluga)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water (more as needed)
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- 6 ounces waxy potatoes, scrubbed and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green cabbage, cored and cut crosswise in 3/4-inch wide ribbons (1 medium head)
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan or casserole over medium heat. Add the chopped half of the onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add 2 of the garlic cloves and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute. Add the lentils, water, chile, and bay leaf, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the potatoes and continue to simmer gently for 30 minutes, until the lentils and potatoes are tender. Add more salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- While the lentils are simmering, cook the cabbage with the remaining onion and garlic in a wide lidded skillet. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add the sliced onion. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the garlic and stir together until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the cabbage and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until the cabbage begins to wilt. Add 1/4 cup water, turn the heat down to medium, cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and sweet, stirring from time to time. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Spread the cabbage over the bottom of the pan in an even layer. Top with the lentils and potatoes. Sprinkle on the parsley, and serve in wide soup bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.
This was delicious! We both really enjoyed it! I felt like the cooking time was off a little bit as the lentils and potatoes were sort of falling apart. I may cook the lentils for 10 minutes next time and then cook them all together for 20-25 min. Also, for the cabbage I added the onion, garlic, and cabbage all at the same time and it came out perfect! Just in case you want to skip a step. :)
Very good. Husband loved it and wants it again. Anytime I can find something without meat that he likes I will hang on to the recipe.