1 hr 10 mins
Ina Garten made huge pots of this at her restaurant, Barefoot Contessa. It's healthy and delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups large diced yellow onions (2 onions)
- 2 cups large diced carrots (3-4 carrots)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tbls.)
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 cup french green lentil (7 ounces)
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon good quality red wine vinegar
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and carrots and cook over medium low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- 2Meanwhile, place the canned tomatoes, including the juice, in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until the tomatoes are coarsely chopped. Rinse and pick over the lentils to make sure there are no stones.
- 3Add the tomatoes, lentils, broth, curry powder, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pan. Raise the heat to bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer covered for about 40 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Check occasionally to be sure the liquid is still simmering.
- 4Remove from the heat and allow the lentils to sit covered for another 10 minutes. Add the vinegar. Season to taste and serve hot. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stewed Lentils & Tomatoes(Barefoot Contessa)
Serving Size: 1 (1620 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.4
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 622.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: