Recipe by Mama Tia
We love veggie soups and adore beans and barley in this partly-vegetarian family! Not only that, but the basil is thriving right now!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 carrots, diced fine
- 2 medium leeks, diced fine with 3 inches of green included
- 2 celery ribs, diced fine
- 2 medium zucchini, diced fine
- 1 large onion, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave (or 1 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 6 -7 cups strong vegetable broth
- 2 cups diced seeded ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup torn basil leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot on low heat.
- Add carrots, leeks, celery, zucchini, onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes, or until veggies are wilted.
- Stir in thyme.
- Add the lentils, barley, and 6 cups vegetable broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and basil, season with salt and pepper to taste,then cook 10 minutes more.
- Stir in parsley.
- If you want more broth, add the additional 1 cup of broth.
- Serve in bowls with warm, crusty peasant bread and a crisp green salad.