Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an old English recipe (although they called it Stewed Mince)
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Brown hamburger and onion.
- Add the worcestershire sauce and oxo cube and 3/4 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Shake flour with remaining 1/4 cup of water.
- Stir into hamburger, and simmer until the gravy thickens.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
I made this for my husband. I did use some stew beef broth that I had kept from last nights supper and used in place of the water and I also used the beef bouillon cube for more flavor. I added more flour and used some whipping cream to make it richer and creamier. Served it over My Cream Potatoes and made some garlic toast. It was excellent my husband said :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!
We had this for dinner tonight. Easy, quick and great flavor. We had it over steamed rice. With green beans and fresh French bread. .
This is a childhodd favourite of mine...comfort food that I still serve to family....I can't believe I found it here...we serve with the mashed potatoes, but also with pickled beets or sweet pickled green tomato slices....this is a supper that makes yo want to curl up on the couch and groan......great!!!!!