Stewed Cinnamon Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce
- In a large saucepan, place rhubarb, lemon juice, zest and salt; add just enough cold water to cook.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes-- check occasionally and add water if necessary.
- If you think there's too much liquid, cook uncovered until the excess liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the strawberry jam and cinnamon; combine well.
- Add the sugar, starting with about 1 cup; stir well and cook until dissolved.
- Taste for sweetness and add more sugar if you wish.
- Note that supermarket (hothouse) rhubarb is typically sweeter than homegrown, so you may need extra sugar if you're using rhubarb from your own or a friend's garden.
- Store in refrigerator; keeps well for a few days.