Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is superb over ice cream, but try it over pancakes for a tasty breakfast.
- 6 cups sliced rhubarb (, 3/4-inch wide)
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- shredded, x lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar (you may want more, depending on the tartness of your rhubarb)
- In a large saucepan, place rhubarb, lemon juice, zest and salt; add just enough cold water to cook.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes-- check occasionally and add water if necessary.
- If you think there's too much liquid, cook uncovered until the excess liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the strawberry jam and cinnamon; combine well.
- Add the sugar, starting with about 1 cup; stir well and cook until dissolved.
- Taste for sweetness and add more sugar if you wish.
- Note that supermarket (hothouse) rhubarb is typically sweeter than homegrown, so you may need extra sugar if you're using rhubarb from your own or a friend's garden.
- Store in refrigerator; keeps well for a few days.