Recipe by eaten.
A tradition in family dinners. Chinese black mushrooms are also, apparently, shiitake mushrooms. I've always suspected so...
- 20 dried Chinese black mushrooms (shiitake mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, extra
- 2 -4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar, extra
- 2 tablespoons oil, extra
- ginger, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the mushrooms in room temperatured water, just enough to cover. Leave for a few hours. If you're in a rush, you can try to use boiling water, but this usually ends up in really soggy mushrooms.
- Once tender, drain the mushrooms and reserve the liquid in a bowl. Put mushrooms in a colander, toss in cornflour and rinse. Squeeze the mushrooms over the bowl of reserved liquid and arrange in a single layer in another dish.
- Toss in extra cornflour, sugar and oil. Steam for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, switch off the gas and leave for 5 minutes, keeping the lid on.
- Heat oil in a wok or casserole. Once hot, add ginger, then mushrooms. Top with reserved liquid, oyster sauce and pepper powder. Stir thoroughly, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Taste sauce. If it lacks flavour, add some more oyster sauce.
- They taste good fresh, but even better after a few days.
- Enjoy :).