Recipe by jenny butt
Delicious and very easy to make--a traditional recipe that will be cooked in every home. Six large fresh tomatoes can also be used.
Top Review by Chocolatl
This recipe is proof that a dish does not have to be complicated or have a long list of ingredients to be flavorful and delicious. Cooking the chicken in the browned sugar seemed odd at first, but it really works. I used canned tomatoes, but also added a couple of chopped romas. Thanks for something new in my repertoire. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
- 1 kg skinless chicken breasts or 1 kg skinless chicken thigh
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 440 g can tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2.46 ml chile pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop onion, garlic, fresh tomatoes.
- Cut chicken into medium/small pieces.
- Put oil & sugar in a pot on high heat, and caramelize sugar.
- When golden brown, add chopped chicken pieces.
- Keep turning until all pieces coated in caramelized sugar and golden brown in color.
- Add onion & garlic.
- Keep cooking until onion translucent.
- Lower heat, add tomatoes & other seasonings.
- Simmer covered on low heat until chicken is cooked.
- Remove cover and cook further , reducing liquid until sauce thickens but DO NOT let dry.
- Serve hot with hot rice OR mashed potatoes.