Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious and very easy to make--a traditional recipe that will be cooked in every home. Six large fresh tomatoes can also be used.
- Finely chop onion, garlic, fresh tomatoes.
- Cut chicken into medium/small pieces.
- Put oil & sugar in a pot on high heat, and caramelize sugar.
- When golden brown, add chopped chicken pieces.
- Keep turning until all pieces coated in caramelized sugar and golden brown in color.
- Add onion & garlic.
- Keep cooking until onion translucent.
- Lower heat, add tomatoes & other seasonings.
- Simmer covered on low heat until chicken is cooked.
- Remove cover and cook further , reducing liquid until sauce thickens but DO NOT let dry.
- Serve hot with hot rice OR mashed potatoes.
This recipe is proof that a dish does not have to be complicated or have a long list of ingredients to be flavorful and delicious. Cooking the chicken in the browned sugar seemed odd at first, but it really works. I used canned tomatoes, but also added a couple of chopped romas. Thanks for something new in my repertoire. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
This turned out much better than i thought. I normally use a much different recipe for my stewed chicken but I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand so I made this instead. As I was cooking it my 5 year old shouted from the living room "Smells good Mom!" And then she ate two plates full at dinner time! I used chicken legs and thai chili sauce because that is what I had, but it turned out wonderful. Thanks for the quick and easy recipe.
I'm glad I took a chance on this recipe -- this is delicious and I will make it often. The sugar part is strange (I thought I was making candy chicken at one point) but trust that it works beautifully! Thank you Jenny!