Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort food for sure!!! Goes great with a side of cornbread.
- 1 chicken, cut up in pieces
- 6 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Put chicken in large pot with water.
- Add next 7 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, skimming surface if necessary.
- Simmer for 1 hour, or until tender.
- Mix dumpling ingredients together until just moistened.
- Bring chicken to a slow boil.
- Drop dumplings by tablespoons onto chicken.
- Cover and cook 12 minutes.
My mother made memorable chicken and dumplings. Unfortunately she never wrote the recipe down. I have searched for one that even remotely resembled hers. This recipe surpasses mom's at it's best. For once the chicken had flavour (I just love the addition of the poultry seasoning). The dumplings were fluffy and tender whereas mine in past had all the appeal of boiled wallpaper paste. I had to plead with my son to try this dish just once more...being a veteran of all my other failed attempts he was to say the least reluctant. He just loved them! Thank you Inez
This was so good! Truly comfort food as I had hoped. I added an extra carrot and a can of chicken broth to this recipe. I also made cornbread to go along with the meal. I loved it and felt proud to serve this to my husband. He enjoyed it very much. Thanks, this is a keeper for me!
This was made for dinner last night and loved by all. The only thing I did differently was to use Bisquick for the dumplings, but everything else was the same. Loved it. Thanks for brining back memories of my Grandmother with this one!