Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From The Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery, 1948.
- Carefully wash berries; drain.
- Place berries in saucepan.
- Add water, cover, and heat slowly; simmer berries for about 15 minutes. Shake pan or stir gently to prevent berries from sticking.
- Add salt and sugar and heat 2-3 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve warm or chilled, plain or with cream.
- If fruit is very ripe, add 1-2 tbs lemon juice.
Here in New England we serve this over johnny cakes for breakfast...I also emjoy it over my yogurt...delish!
These were great with vanilla ice cream!