Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This beef stew is wonderfully aromatic! The cloves add a special and unusual touch to the flavor of the meat.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 -4 cloves garlic
- 3 -4 sprigs parsley
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 -2 potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 3 -4 whole cloves
- 1 -2 sprig fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (about)
- 1 -2 bay leaf, to taste
- 4 -5 saffron threads or 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric (about)
- 1 beef double bouillon cubes (knorr)
- salt and pepper
- 1 quart water (approximately)
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper the meat, and drizzle a little olive oil over it, mix well and allow to stand for about 1/2 hour (more if you have time).
- Mash garlic with a bit of salt and the parsley leaves using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat about 2-3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat and sauteé the onion, garlic, and vegetables until the onion becomes translucent, then add cloves, herbs, saffron or tumeric and boullion cube.
- Stir well, and cook until fragrant.
- Add beef and stir well, browning the meat a bit.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until tender, stirring every once in a while.
- Remove cover and reduce sauce a bit, until it thickens.
- Serve with french fries and Garlic Mayo (ali-oli), or steamed rice.