Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
This recipe is so versatile that's why I named it as such. This is great as a topping over vanilla ice cream, a slice of cheesecake or a slice of pound cake. It can also be used as a pastry filling. Place filling in baked phyllo cups (frozen food section) for a quick dessert or you can use as a filling in pre-made frozen puff pastry by rolling out to a rectangle, spooning filling down the middle and fold sides in leaving middle somewhat exposed and baking until golden brown. Then again, it's great just all by itself.
- 8 granny smith apples
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 Stick)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core apples then slice into 1/4" slices.
- In large heavy sauce pan combine all ingredients except apples.
- Over low heat melt butter and stir to mix well.
- Add apples tossing to coat.
- Cover pan and cook on low until apples are almost completely submerged in liquid, about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn fire up to medium, remove lid and cook on a hard simmer until sauce has thickened and is syrupy, about 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from fire and let cool or use warm, if desired.