This a finger licking recipe from the wonderful island of Jamaica. Learnt it from my mom and grandma and the taste is exceptional and will leave you wanting more. The scotch bonnet pepper adds a wonderful taste to this recipe so it may not be as inviting to children. However, if you wish you don't have to include the the hot pepper.
- Spinners Method (These are little dumplings added when everything is close to finished): Combine the flour and water and knead until a firm dough is formed Take small pieces and roll to desired length.
- For the Stew Peas: Put water, coconut milk, red peas, fresh beef, pigs tail, garlic and giner in a pressure cooker and pressure for 20 minutes.
- Leave the pressure cooker to cool, then open.
- Add spinners, escallion, thyme and pepper to the pot and leave to Simmer for 5 minutes.
- To serve: Serve with fluffy rice.
CAUTION: Make sure the coconut milk is not sweetened... otherwise, this is a fairly authentic recipe from the island.
This recipe is a winner! My parents are from Jamaica so they've made this many times but when I was younger I had no interest in cooking. This perfect recipe rescued me from my parents banter! T. Walker