Prep 10 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a popular Jamaican recipe that I love.
- 1 lb red kidney beans
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 1⁄4 lb salt beef
- 1⁄2 lb flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 stalks scallions
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 ounces cooking oil
- 3 pints water
- Soak the Salt Beef overnight (included in prep time), this will stop the stew from tasting too salty.
- Wash Red Kidney Beans and remove discolored beans or foreign matter. In a 2-quart stock pot, add beef products and beans.
- Cook beans and beef until they are soft (this will take some time; add water as needed).
- While the other ingredients are cooking, you will have to make the little dumplings called spinners.
- Put flour in a large bowl and add a little water. Knead flour into dough, adding water as necessary, like you’re making bread.
- Pinch dough into small pieces, about 2” in diameter. Place pieces of dough into bowl and let sit for awhile.
- In the meantime, check on the beans in the pot to see if they are soft. If they are, reduce the fire to medium.
- With your palms facing each other, roll a piece of dough between them until the dough looks like a big piece of spaghetti.
- Then form the dough so that the middle is wide and the top and bottom are small. This is a spinner. The length of the spinner (dough) should be no more that 4” though. Repeat this process for all the pieces.
- Add all the spinners to the pot of stew and cover the pot. Let the spinners cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add scallions, thyme, black pepper, and cooking oil. Cook for 3 minutes then taste the stew.
- If it taste the way you like it…Mix a solution of flour and water to thicken the stew, then let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- This is usually served with white rice.