Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I came across this from a old recipe book I had from years ago. If you want it milder, you might want to cut down on thwe chili powder.
- 2 lbs premium cut stew meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, liquid reserved
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground oregano
- salt (optional)
- cheddar cheese (topping)
- If stew meat is in fairly large pieces, cut each piece in half.
- In a large skillet, brown stew meat and transfer to a large slow cooker.
- Add onion, tomatoes, beans, seasonings, and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over each serving.
This was excellent. I cut the recipe in half and it worked wonderfully. It was a mix of a chili and a stew. The flavor seemed very stewlike even though there were beans and spices. The stew meat was tender and wonderful. Thanks so much for posting! Made for Went to Market Tag.
We did not like this. It needed more flavor. And I added garlic salt, pepper, 6 garlic bulbs, and celery. I have a lot leftover so I am trying to figure out what to do with it. Don't want to waste the stew meat. Think I am gonna turn it into shredded beef burritos since it has beans and tomatoes in it.
I made this Chili recipe for Chili Cookoff contest. I won second prize.
Made several changes/additions to recipe though. Did not think it was spicy enough since I usually add a lor more Chili powder to my chili recipes. I increased amount to 3 tablespoons and it was perfect. I changed the beans to 1 can pinto beans and 1 can black beans.
Decided after making this recipe, that this is the chili i will make when I have the time to cook it over long period of time.