Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I got this recipe from my Mom. Now all my siblings and I use this recipe when we want something easy and delicious. The meat comes out melt-in-your-mouth tender cooked in its own gravy.
- 1 lb beef stew meat (already cut up)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can French onion soup (undiluted)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
- Mix together french onion and cream of mushroom soups in a 2 1/2 qt casserole dish.
- Add stew meat raw, making sure that all the meat is covered by the soup (it browns and cooks in the oven with the soups).
- Cover and place in 350 degree oven for 3 hours.
- Serve over steamed rice or noodles with a salad.
- This recipe doubles or triples easily (just add one can of either soup per extra pound of meat).
- I usually make extra and freeze it for another night.
Excellent easy recipe. I made my own onion soup: 1/4 onion carmelized, 2 oz. red wine, 4 oz. chicken broth, 5 oz. beef broth, cook 15 min. Then proceed with recipe. Incredibly tender!
This recipe is so easy and really good! I used cream of chicken and cream of mushroom. This was a delicious way to use up a cut of meat I grabbed on a big mark down at the store. I served this atop egg noodles for a rich stroganoff.
Since I didn't have condensed French onion soup, I substituted 10 oz beef broth (fat-free and low sodium) plus an envelope of dried french onion soup mix. I used reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup. For the meat I used some older NY strip and sirloin steak from my freezer. I trimmed it well off all visible fat. Baked as directed and served over rice. It smelled wonderful all afternoon. The meat was very tender and delicious. It got 2 thumbs up from DH and DS16. I did not find it too salty and DS added more salt to his. Thanks for posting. Made for Fall PAC 2011.