Recipe by haven't the slightest
These are amazing brownies. Main ingredients are black beans, bananas, cocoa, applesauce, oats and stevia. They are delicious and healthy too. I adapted this from the following website: http://happyherbivore.com/2009/05/vegan-blackbean-brownies/
Top Review by rikka
I wouldn't exactly say these are award winning brownies but the kids like them! I am on a mission to hide healthy food in snacks as I have two very fussy eaters who both have a sweet tooth. I have yet to try them out on my husband who is intollerant to just about everything but I think this recipe is a keeper.
I used adzuki / red beans as I can't get blackbeans in Australia and this seemed to work well. I also added 2 tsp of baking powder and they did rise ever so slightly. I might add more stevia next time as they could be a bit sweeter, the mix tasted fine before baking but after baking they could be a bit sweeter.
- 354.88 ml canned black beans, drained and rinsed (about a 15oz can)
- 2 medium bananas
- 78.07 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 59.14 ml unsweetened cocoa
- 1.23 ml stevia powder
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract (or any flavor you want)
- 59.14 ml oats (ground up in blender)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sure beans are drained and rinsed, set aside.
- Slice the 2 bananas and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If using large flake or quick oats, grind in blender or food processor, then remove and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients, except oats, in blender or food processor and mix. Scape the sides as needed.
- Add oats and continue blending.
- Adjust consistency with more oats as needed. You can also add more flavoring or stevia if you wish.
- Grease a 8 x 8 inch pan.
- Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly until it is level.
- Bake for approximate 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out cleanly when inserted.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and then cut into 12 equal squares.