This is an excellent Panettone made easier by using your bread machine.It will taste much better if you can find the separate containers of candied peel than if you use the mixed peel made for fruit cake. The oils in mixed peel seems to get old quickly and give a bit of a biter less fresh taste. Here in NY at holiday time the individual candied peel under the Paradise brand are easy to find in most supermarkets.
- ** I prefer to mix my own from separate containers of candied cherries, citron, lemon and orange peel rather than use the premixed peel sold for friut cake as the individual fruit flavors remain more distinct this way.
- Add ingredients in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer select white bread or sweet bread and push start; dough will look wet but that is normal for this bread, don't be tempted to add more flour.
- Note: I have found that candied fruit and nuts are rather resilient and don't break up easily.
- So I find little difference if the fruit and nuts are added at the beginning instead of waiting for the additives beep of the machine.
- You can wait if you wish but I tend in this recipe to throw it in with the rest of the ingredients.
- I like my bread less dense so the bread so that the flavor of the bread comes through and I can spread some butter on it.
- If you prefer a more dense fruity bread you can increase the fruit to a full cup.