Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My sweet darling son gets tired of the same old sandwiches, so I make these when those blues hit and he gobbles them up. My DH, the comic of course, also gobbles them up but he adds a dollop of cranberry sauce to his seashell when it's filled with my Baked Leftover Turkey Salad Hot Dish or Sandwich Filling and tells my son it's the red tide in the seashell. Well at least my son learns marine biology while eating his seashells. Thank goodness DH doesn't add a dollop of caviar, I know he would say it was an oil spill.
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- In a medium saucepan bring hot water and shortening to a boil.
- Add dry ingredients all at one time, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking and stirring until mixture leaves the sides of the pan, add a little more flour and salt if it doesn't pull away.
- Remove from heat, cool 2 minutes.
- Add an egg, one at a time, beating vigorously after each egg until mixture is smooth again.
- On a lightly oiled foil lined baking sheet drop mixture by teaspoonfuls about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8- 10 minutes at 450°F.
- Turn oven down to 350°F, bake for 12- 15 minutes longer, watch for too much browning.
- Remove from sheet and cool on wire racks.
- When cool, cut top partially open and fill with favourite kid filling (tuna, chicken, turkey, seafood salad).
- Serve on a bowl of crushed ice covered with tinted plastic wrap (I use blue for the ocean).