Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
An adaptation of the Stenhammar cookies, named for Swedish composer Wilhelm Stenhammar.
Make and share this Stenhammar Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Finely chop the almonds by hand. You'll end up with almond paste if you tried doing this with a food processor.
- Combine the margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl. Gradually add the flour and hornsalt (or baking powder). Stir in the currants and 1/2 cup of the chopped almonds.
- Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal sections.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each section into an 18" long snake.
- Place the logs on a lightly greased baking sheet. Flatten each slightly with the heel of your hand, brush with egg white, and sprinkle with the remaining almonds.
- Bake on center rack of the oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Once removed from the oven, cut into 3/4" diagonal cookies.