Recipe by mandabears
This tastes like a real South Philly Italian Rum Cake without the trouble of making sponge cake. Try it, you will agree. I usually make mine with almond toast, because I don't like the taste of the anisette toast as much. Cook time is refrigerator time.
Top Review by grjartos
My recipe uses 2 pkg Stella D'Oro Almond Toast- line 13 X 9 with the almond toast ( do not cut in half) sprinkle with 3/4 c milk. Make a large 3 cup size of vanilla pudding using 2 3/4 c milk rather than the 3 cups required. Add two teaspoons rum extract ( can use rum but the extract actually tastes better) pour hot vanilla pudding over cookies and make chocolate pudding using 2 3/4 c milk & cook until thick, then add 2 teaspoons rum extract to the hot pudding and immediately pour over the vanilla. Let cool and chill When cold frost with a tub of cool whip and sprinkle slivered almonds ands dot with maraschino cherries! That's the best recipe ! Enjoy!
- 2 (6 ounce) packages stella doro anisette toast
- 8 tablespoons good quality rum (optional)
- 5 1⁄2 ounces vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 5 1⁄2 ounces cook and serve chocolate pudding mix
- Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut anisette cookies in half lengthwise and line bottom of 13x9 glass baking dish.
- Brush cookies or spray cookies with rum.
- Pour prepared vanilla pudding over cookies.
- Cover pudding with another layer of anisette cookies cut in half length wise and sprayed with rum.
- Cover cookies with prepared chocolate pudding.
- Cover chocolate pudding with Cool Whip.
- Refrigeate for at least 4 hours.