Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This tastes like a real South Philly Italian Rum Cake without the trouble of making sponge cake. Try it, you will agree. I usually make mine with almond toast, because I don't like the taste of the anisette toast as much. Cook time is refrigerator time.
- 2 (6 ounce) packages stella doro anisette toast
- 8 tablespoons good quality rum (optional)
- 5 1⁄2 ounces vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 5 1⁄2 ounces cook and serve chocolate pudding mix
- Cool Whip
- Cut anisette cookies in half lengthwise and line bottom of 13x9 glass baking dish.
- Brush cookies or spray cookies with rum.
- Pour prepared vanilla pudding over cookies.
- Cover pudding with another layer of anisette cookies cut in half length wise and sprayed with rum.
- Cover cookies with prepared chocolate pudding.
- Cover chocolate pudding with Cool Whip.
- Refrigeate for at least 4 hours.
I haven't made this yet but I feel like I have struck GOLD! This sounds exactly like my mother's recipe. She grew up in Philly and I'm sure this is the same. Thank you so much for posting this!