Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This makes great, juicy chicken breasts for your favorite chicken salad. I got this from Sunset magazine a few years ago, lost the recipe, and recently found it again. The liquid can be changed or seasonings added to alter the flavor, if desired.
- Bring water to a boil in a covered 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat.
- Rinse chicken breasts.
- Add chicken to boiling water, cover, and return to a boil.
- As soon as water returns to boil, remove from heat and let stand, covered, until chicken is no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 12 to 18 minutes.
- If chicken is still pink, return it to the hot water, cover pan, and let steep a few minutes longer.
- Remove chicken from water and let cool, about 20 minutes.
- With your hands, tear chicken along the grain into shreds about 1/2 inch thick.
Thank you, Cindy for publishing this recipe! I too lost it after having seen it in Sunset Magazine. I love using chicken prepared this way in a lot of different recipes. The meat is so tender and delicate and the method is soooo simple! Thanks to Zaar and you I will always have it close at hand!